Friday, April 25, 2014

Blog 19: Independent Component 2

LITERAL: 

(a) Statement saying: “I, student name, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”

  • I, Leo Larino, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work

(b) Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component

  • The source that helped me the most complete my independent component would have to be Coach Mike Acuna of Southlands Christian. He is the assistant coach of the basketball team at Southlands Christian and he is the one who really watched as I coached some of the players on the team. He showed me how to teach some of the players and I learned what a coach should do in certain situations.

(c) Provide a digital spreadsheet (aka log of the 30 hours).   Post it next to your mentorship log

  • Done.

(d) Explanation of what you completed.    

  • What I did for my independent component is help coach the Southlands Christian basketball team as they trained in the Spring. My initial job was to help get the team ready for their Spring League at Rowland High School, but there had not been enough players who had wanted to join. So, I just had coached the people who were ready to go for the Spring and all the players who wanted to get better for next season. I did hands-on coaching where I was able to teach players the correct thing to do when in a basketball game and had them do drills where they would get better as a basketball player. I went by the practice schedule Coach Mike had gotten ready each day and went on to help coach the team. 

 INTERPRETIVE:




  • These pictures show some of the drills the players had to do while in practice.


APPLIED:

How did the component help you answer your EQ? Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped. 

  • This component helped me answer my EQ by showing what a coach actually has to do to get his team ready for the challenge ahead, and that is winning basketball games. A coach has to do many things so that his players are ready to play in the game and execute what they have been taught in practice. This all starts by having a perfect practice and by having players who are there that want to get better. For example, we did not have many players coming to practice at one point and Coach Mike saw that as a big problem. So, I saw that I had say something so that we could have this Spring Training as something that would be very beneficial for the players returning. I saw that we needed players who wanted to play to get better and I wanted to have the players come to practice. I scolded some of the people I saw and told them to go so that they could get ready for next season. A coach has to be able to handle tough situations with his team and this could be one of those situations. This can tie into what my EQ is and show how a coach can maximize his team;s chances if winning a league championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment